Sorority Row (2009)

by Caleb | 9/12/2009 04:12:00 PM in |



A by-the-numbers slasher flick that was actually entertaining. Of course we have nothing new here except for the fact that SORORITY ROW is a return to the fun splatter slasher films of the 80's and mid 90's. I really have not had a problem with the latest horror remake craze because it sure beats that awful run of American J-horror remakes that infested multiplex's since the early 2000's. SORORITY ROW still suffers from a problem that Hollywood will never fix, the stereotypical CW channel teenager character casting. At least these teenagers are not as bad as the one's in the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake, those kids had stereotype written on their forehead they were so bad.




When five sorority sisters accidentally cause the murder of one of their own during a prank gone wrong, they decide to cover it up and never speak of it again. 8 months later after graduation the dirty little secret comes back to haunt them in the form of a masked killer seeking revenge for the death of Megan, the one they killed. Is Megan back from the dead, or does someone know the deadly truth?




Some may think that SORORITY ROW is just a rehash of I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER or URBAN LEGEND but in actuality it's a remake of THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. I have heard about the original for years but never got around to finding it or renting it. I am curious because I can still enjoy watching early 80's slasher movies.




What I enjoyed most about this movie is that mostly all of the suspense and kills were executed very well. It did remind me a lot of the slasher films from the late 70's and early 80's, so I liked that a lot. Some of the dialogue was weak, too much hip hop lingo and MTV speak. The ending had some good moments but did not know when enough was enough. Overall I was impressed since I was going in with very low expectations.




C+






0 comments: