Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)

by Scooter | 8/31/2009 12:03:00 AM in |

Harry Potter is a series for children.


When will Harry Potter ever graduate from that school?

I hear this from people all the time when I tell them that I am in love with Harry Potter and everything that goes on in his world. To be honest with you I am not so sure why this is even considered a children's series of movies/books. I was recently in Barnes n Noble and found myself completely out of place as I had to be helped to the children's corner of the store so I could buy all seven of these books.

If you have never given Harry Potter a chance, like I did for far too long, let me give you some quick information on the series as a whole. The overall theme of all the Harry Potter books is death as stated by the author, J.K. Rowling. The series is comprised of seven books, one for each year of his schooling at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. There will be eight total films when all is said and done as the last book will be broken up into two films with the last film expected to open in theaters in summer 2011.

The week prior to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince's release ABC Family had on every Potter film leading up to the new one so I decided to give it a try. Halfway through the first movie I was hooked. While Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is my favorite movie (year 4) The Half Blood Prince is a close second.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is the darkest of the so far six movies in the series. The series took a turn from happy to dark and gloomy after the forth movie but this is by far the most extreme. Harry is more mature and knows more than he ever has in this film. The Half Blood Prince seems more heroic and epic with everything seeming more real. The Battle of Good vs. Evil is laid out in between the mischievous excursions with Harry and his two best friends, Ron and Hermione. This film has more laughter than the first five movies with my favorite line being, "Well I am the Chosen one." About an hour into The Half Blood Prince you may even see something that makes you wonder if you are in a Harry Potter film or the newest Horror film out in theaters.


This movie is not for anyone who has never read or seen the first five books or movies. You would be completely lost if you went out to see this film as your first Harry Potter experience. This film has one of the biggest twists that I have ever seen in a movie. No one expected it and I did not see it coming as well. So be kind to yourself and go get the books like I did or just go watch the movies and then go see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (In imax 3-D if you can).

This is the best movie of the summer and I am very much looking forward to the final two movies since I have read the last book and now can know what to expect. It will be a thrill and I encourage everyone to hope on board with Harry Potter! Stupefy!

1 comments:

  1. luminousvignettes on September 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM

    Hey Kris, this is Jordan. Thanks for referring me to your site. This was by far the best of all the Harry Potter films thus far, it was so well developed from a cinematic, character, and thematic standpoint. I can't wait to watch it again. I look forward to reading more here at your site.